Sunday, July 27, 2008

Grom mom for real

Over the last two weeks, I've become a true grom mom! (For those of you who don't know what a grom is, it's a young surfer.) You know they've finally accomplished this when they don't want to come out of the water.

Last weekend, it was Sarah. I was surfing further out than the kids and I heard hooting and hollering. I turned to look and Chris gave me a double hang ten hand signal and pointed at Sarah. Usually the first one out, we had to drag Sarah out of the water. This Thursday, she was texting us that the waves were looking good for Friday and we needed to go surfing.

This weekend, Chris got up on waves for the first time ever. And he was styling, looking (although he said not feeling) very relaxed up there. He even shared a wave with his dad, which was a high point for Bruce. He was all hyper when he got back in the car - total stoke!

The next day, during a lull in the waves, we took Sasha and Erika out on the long boards. Sasha managed to stand on up her own for a few seconds before falling off. On the way back she sat cross-legged on the board and gave me the double hang-ten with a grin on her face. Erika didn't quite make it all the way up but she got up on one leg (we call that the Captain Morgan stance) several times. I think she may have done better but she was having way too much fun laying back down and paddling the board toward the beach full tilt with me swimming after her to grab the leash and haul her back out.

I gotta remember the camera!

No comments: