Friday, March 13, 2009

How to judge the severity of an injury

Today after we got back from picking Sarah and Chris up, they were admiring the new stainless steel cooking appliances. Chris was checking out the oven when I heard and "Oops", looked over and half the oven door had slid out in his hands. I fully removed the door and inspected the hinges. On the one side that came off, the locking mechanism was still in the locked position - I'm still not sure how the door came out that way.

I called Chris over to help me move the locking mechanism as I pulled back on the door lever, using a hammer as leverage as the spring is very strong. Chris wasn't sure what the locking mechanism was and how to move it so I tried to show him by moving it with my fingers while still holding the hinge back. Big mistake, as the hinge slid out from behind the hammer and slammed onto Chris' thumb. He gamely said "It's fine!" as he ran upstairs to assess the extent of his injury.

The hinge had slammed into the top of his thumb and squished it into the hinge opening, cutting the bottom side of his thumb as well. It had stopped bleeding and didn't immediately look black and blue but I was sure it hurt pretty bad and I felt awful. To get away from my hovering and apologies, Chris went off to play. A few minutes later he came back and said "See, it's not hurt that bad: I can still play Xbox with it!"

No comments: