Friday, October 16, 2009

Canby Gators are lucky

...lucky to have the girlies on the team!

Says I anyway. The girls started swim team in September: their first organized sport. Yesterday, they had a swim-a-thon to raise money for the team. The girls were supposed to solicit people and businesses to pay per length (we didn't but that's besides the point). There was maximum of 200 lengths or 2 hours in the water. A length was 25 yards.

I was floored. Those girls swam the entire 2 hours straight!! Sasha didn't even stop to take a drink of water. At one point, as she was turning for her next lap, she said "I have a cramp" and kept on going. She made it to 160 (ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY) lengths, or 80 full laps, or 4000 yards!! I'm quite sure I couldn't do that in 2 hours. She also managed to keep the same pace the entire time.

Erika was barely behind her at 150 lengths. Erika got a bit disheartened at an hour and a half. She found out she was about 3 laps behind Sasha and when I went to talk to her she was breathing hard and was tearing up a bit. But she kept going. At 15 minutes left, when I told her the remaining time, she put her head in her hands in exhaustion. But she pushed out another 10 lengths. I was so incredibly proud of her.

And to top it off, they had their first swim real competitive swim meet today!! They did awesome. They finished in first or second in their heats (25 yd backstroke and freestyle) and overall Erika placed 14th and Sasha placed 16th in backstroke. In freestyle, Sasha placed 12th and Erika 18th.

Proud mom - you bet!

Meet results

No comments: